Understand LGBTQ+ women's experiences with how they dress today and in the past. The research is being conducted in collaboration with Iowa State University's Textiles and Clothing Museum, and will result in a public exhibit "Queer Fashion and Style: StorIes From the Heartland" in the museum's gallery from January 22 - April 14 2018.
COMPENSATION $40 cash
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Find pictures (digital or print) of yourself from throughout your life that highlight your clothing and style to bring to the in-person interview. (up to 1 hour).
- Audio & video (video is optional) recorded interview about your clothing and fashion (up to 2 hours).
- Choose outfits to lend for public exhibit at Iowa State University's Textiles and Clothing Museum (30 minutes)
- Possible follow interview to clarify interview responses and to discuss exhibit (1 hour)
- Consider donating a garment to the Textiles and Clothing collection to broaden and diversify permanent collection.
- Age 30+
- Identify in the LGBTQ+ community
- Identify as woman - including trans and cisgender women) AND/OR individuals who were "assigned female at birth" and may identify as a man, transgender, trans man, gender non-conforming, AND/OR another gender identity
- Live in Iowa
- Willing to lend garments or accessories for a public exhibit on the history of LGBTQ+ women’s fashion at Iowa State University’s Textile and Clothing Museum. Exhibit runs from January 22 - April 18, 2018. Items need to be borrowed at least 6 weeks before exhibit and will be returned 2 weeks following exhibit.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
If you are interested, we'd be glad to send you more information. Please contact Kelly L. Reddy-Best, Assistant Professor in Apparel Merchandising and Design at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-793-1437 (text or call). Or message us through our Facebook page.
- Kelly Reddy-Best, Assistant Professor in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design
- Eulanda Sanders, Professor and Chair of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management
- Dana Goodin, PhD student in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design
- Eunji Choi, MS student in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design
View the official consent form below for more details. The research team will provide you a hard copy to sign at the first interview.
Please share our flyer if you know anyone who might be interested!